Friday, May 20, 2011

Real World Theology

I wonder what it's like to be the rainmaker?
I wonder what it's like to know that I make the rain?

I would store it in boxes and be completely selfish, letting it out only to show off.  Rain storms would truly be storms, meant to push my authority onto the world.  See how big I am would ya!

God, the rainmaker, has a different purpose; that purpose much greater than I can understand completely.  Because of his great love, he sends the rains to nourish the earth; growing the new and purging the spent.  The beauty in every space is from God who is a creative creator.

I wonder what it's like to be a superhero?
I wonder where I'd go if I could fly around downtown?

I would get a high off impressing people with my powers.  Helping others in peril wold be about me, not them.  My friends would be pissed at me for being a showoff stuck on myself.

Jesus, my superhero, was about using his power; healing and forgiving those who approached him seeking relief.  Instead of these miracles propelling him to mass popularity, his actions of grace and mercy lead him to his death.  For God's glory, Jesus did these things; feeling the hurt of rejection and the weight of sin.

I wonder what it's like to be the head honcho?
I wonder what I'd do if they all did just what I said?

I would shout out orders, demanding I be served.  My interests would be first, not considering how my demands would change everything.  Being the boss does not inspire relationships but produces loneliness.

The Holy Spirit, the head honcho, is a still voice speaking into my life the things of God.  Everyday, the Spirit is hanging around because he lives within me.  Shaping my thoughts, moving my heart, directing my steps; the Spirit does not force himself upon me.  He gently asks me to follow God.

This is the real world.  This life is a hassle and daily grind.  God is in control.  Nothing is beyond his power.  Jesus came to demonstrate his Father's great love for us and to give us hope for his kingdom that is coming.  The Holy Spirit is motivating and moving us to that bright future when all the hassle will be gone.

Hang in.  The real-real world will be glorious!

No comments: