Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On the 9th Day of Christmas...

God has given me 9 years of wonderful marriage. The main pastor of our church recently said in a weekend message that marriage is the greatest exercise of self discovery. How true. I have learned so much about myself in these nine years that at times I haven't liked myself very much. Hilary is the real hero in this story as she has had to live with me. She is not my "better half," nor does she "complete me." She is, however, my life partner who supports and encourages me in good times or bad. We hold each other accountable to all that God wants in our lives. Accountability is the part no one likes but it's the part that creates the best fruit.

Marriage is an on-going spiritual retreat that requires thoughtful effort and honest responses. It is a practical demonstration of a spiritual reality, that being, the relationship between Christ and those who follow Him in devotion. Our lives of faith are stronger and maturing because of our relationship with one another. Our relationship is at it's best when we are investing in each other, seeking the best and serving one another. Funny how that same formula works as we pursue God. Our closeness or distance to God correlates with our attitude and service to others.

My marriage truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: