Sunday, December 20, 2009

On the 7th Day of Christmas...

As much as it hurts, pain and defeat are healthy. God has allowed me to experience much of it during my life. This Christmas I am reminded of 7 episodes of disappointment and failure, that when looking back, has strengthened my resolve to be better and do more. Here is my short list:
born with a damaged eardrum which caused severe hearing loss,
Christmas Eve emergency room party with a leaky appendix (the gift that keeps on givin'),
cut from the high school baseball team junior year,
denied request of marital blessing from my now father-in-law,
back-to-back church collapses (i was on staff at both churches, you connect the dots),
laid off from a job and unemployed for 6 months,
failed initial ordination board hearing

Hindsight is 20/20 and only after a period of time do I realize the growth as a result. Without the presence of impossible circumstances and unmet goals, can we really understand the goodness, grace and purpose of God?

1 comment:

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm guessing your father-in-law has regretted that one? :)