Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On the 2nd Day of Christmas...

Two years of running has been a backdoor blessing. What I mean is that the benefits from the miles have been unexpected. I began running against my will as I was registered for the 2007 Chicago Half-Marathon without any warning or preparedness. So I had no choice but to find a training plan and get going. Almost immediately after beginning a program I was hooked. After the miles started piling up and my training rhythm smoothed out I began to experience the "high" of competition that I missed since my college baseball days. At my age, running has become a great athletic activity to cultivate and manage my desire to compete. Being the most competitive person I know, running has also become a stress reliever because I can set my own goals and work toward achievement with very little outside distraction. And then, of course, are the health benefits of running. I dropped 25 lbs. which, as a result, changed my eating habits because being at a healthy weight feels fantastic and now I know the difference. My sleep is much better, feeling more rested in the morning. The hardest part about running isn't the physical effort but the mental effort. For me, it can be a grind. After two years of training, I feel as if my mind is stronger, tougher.

Now my goal is to complete a half-marathon in two hours or less. I am very close. A new pair of shoes and a season without injury should put me over the top. Having a goal is the only way I can get through training. The hours and the miles and the pounding is all worth it on race day when I'm packed in at the starting line with thousands of other runners. It's a natural buzz for me when I can see the finish line and finally step over. Maybe I'll see you on May 2nd in Cincinnati for the Flying Pig. Never too early to start training.

No comments: