Monday, December 14, 2009

12 Days of Christmas: God's Gift To Me

A longstanding tradition of mine is to use the month of December to clear my schedule and reflect. I enjoy the end of the calendar year because it has become a time of looking back and for looking ahead. As my personality goes, these two behaviors stand out very clearly. I find it rewarding to both review and to plan. In some ways, these activities, reviewing how my time was spent and what I experienced along with planning goals and action steps for the future, have become a personal act of worship. When I get quiet and consider my life in this way, I see God at work. This year is no different. Truly, I enjoy and benefit from God's authority both in and around me.

As Christmas approaches I'd like to share some of these blessings as a daily acknowledgment of God's riches and purpose. To do this I will use the 12 Days of Christmas model. Starting today I will post 12 consecutive blog entries reflecting on God's unique gifts to me. The church calendar teaches us that the 12 days don't actually begin until Christmas day, December 25th, but due to our culturally driven (pre) holi-day excitement and because my family travel schedule would get in the way of daily entries, I have decided to traverse the common path instead of the religious one.

The first day of Christmas is coming up...

No comments: