Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Think I'm Onto Something

More Questions Than Answers is the title of this cockamamy blog. I want this blog, and in particular my writings, to be a blend of varying styles; some scrap booking type posts along with some entries that have the feel of a personal journal. Mostly, I want this to be a place to explore questions that seemingly have no answer or have a hundred viable answers.

A big question that remains unanswered revolves around one of the great mysteries of life: the nature of women. There is not a man in the history of the universe (I know, except for Jesus.) who can honestly claim he has women figured out. This is not to say that to be in the company of a woman is a bad thing; it is not. Sometimes knowing them and pleasing them is a difficult thing.

I love my married life. Let me rephrase...I love my life with Hilary. The previous sentence seemed a bit impersonal. I need to communicate clearly that I am not just an ordinary, married man but a man who is married to a woman that makes my life great. (Since Hilary will be reading this, I want to make sure I am not posed with questions that I cannot answer.)

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, so I wanted to really do it right. In the past I have struggled in the area of gift giving. I have spent way too much time and money trying to get that one special gift that would memorialize V-Day. I have tried everything both discretionary and practical. Gifts like perfume, flowers, candy, trinkets, jewelry, even kitchen utensils and pantry supplies have not seemed to hit the mark. Doing extra chores around the house and running errands, although appreciated, have missed too. This year I decided not to acquire more stuff that strains the budget and really gives little indication of how much I love her. Strangely, gifts have a knack for being dispassionate. My gift to her was simply being with her, engaged in meaningful activities and conversation together. Listen, I know this is not a sexy gift, but with three small children, time to talk and be together alone is a rarity. We had a wonderful time.

I think I was able to add a single piece to the complex puzzle. Life still throws out many questions, but after Valentine's Day 2009 the one about women is a point closer to being almost halfway answered.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You said: My gift to her was simply being with her, engaged in meaningful activities and conversation together.

I say: I think this is a VERY sexy gift. (I trust you'll both understand how I mean this.) I bought Ed a card. He bought me a long-stemmed red rose. We made each other Bananas Foster, a treat he really loves. But the best part of the day? We were together. Period.