Friday, August 1, 2008

Restless

I'm in that place again. Restless. This seems to happen far too often. The good comes with the bad but right now the bad seems overwhelming. I've been restless for some time now (months) but haven't confessed. Most days I come home from work physically tired and emotionally weak. What I've learned about myself in these restless periods is that in my vocational work purpose far outweighs amenities. As is usually the case in moments of vulnerability, my dependence upon God has intensified.

Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father's house, To the land which I will show you (Genesis 12.1, NASB)." Recently this verse reminded me of the Lord's appeal for adventure. That's the good part of being restless; knowing (at least hoping) that there is a new challenge ahead. I think that's why this directive of God to Abram brings me comfort; that the unknown is known by God. So, in my restlessness I wait for God to show me what I need to be doing.

In the meantime I ask, "Is contentment contingent upon purpose and passion?" "Can satisfaction come with simply being?" "Is it selfishness that brings about restlessness (jealous for something else) or is it God communicating the next phase of His ultimate plan?" God has created complex creatures-us human kind folk. If we could figure "us" out I suppose "we" would figure that would be reason enough not to need God. Good thing God is present, pointing us in the right direction; showing us where to be and what to do.

No comments: