Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Consider the Lilies of the Field

One of my goals for the new year is learn better how to pray; rather, to better connect with God.  Since I write as a hobby, I thought writing prayers may be a fresh approach to a sacred practice.  As you read these, please know that God is my intended audience.  I have prayed these words over and over.  I publish these here as a secondary act; praying that maybe some of you may connect to God.
*     *     *
Consider the Lilies of the Field

What a weird few days it’s been Lord.  Life can get turned upside down real fast.
Everyone seems to be worried for me.
Or mad over the personal circumstances facing me.
Mostly concerned about the family.  Rightly so.

It’s funny how comfortable we all get when certain things are in order.
But as soon as one of these things gets messed with panic sets in.
God you are not hiding, you’ve been here all along.
Thank you for this discomfort pushing me onward.

I feel good, and I know it’s because of you and your great work in me.
You are teaching me about peace.  And making peace in my life.
Paul says to rejoice and to think about good things.
Your Son says to consider the lilies of the field.

My burden is lighter not greater.
Saying that doesn’t sound right--makes no sense whatsoever.
It’s true, no matter how it sounds.
My mind is clear and my sleep restful.

This was a long time coming and I’m glad it’s finally here.
I’m not looking back, knowing that better things are about to begin.
People wonder why I’m not bitter or depressed.
My answer is simple and absolutely clear.

God it is all you.  You have filled my void with hope.
Confirming what you’ve said makes my heart skip a beat.
Sacrifice is what I heard you say.
First with my ears now with my eyes, Lord give me the resources to live by.

Amen.



No comments: