Thursday, November 10, 2011

Running Again: What I've Learned


Running is hard on the body.  Being an amateur I did not know what I was doing when I started the long distances some 4 years ago.  I have learned some things along the way but still consider myself a novice.

There is nothing like adversity to teach the lessons that stick.  I have had my share.  I am just now back on the running trail after a year of recovering from some hip issues.  The miles of pounding caught up to me.  I am running again and feeling great.

From me to you the lessons I have learned:
#1)  Know your body.  Your body has its own voice.  Listen carefully and respond accordingly.  I am the kind of guy that reads line by line the instructions on the build/fix it yourself project and will not deviate from it.  Running smarter means backing off when my energy level is down or cutting back the mileage when my knees start barking.  Adjust the running program to fit your body on any given day.  I have learned that because of my hip issues I need more rest in between runs, especially in preparation for a long run.  I may not run the prescribed distances during a given week but when I run my performance is good, physically and mentally.

#2)  Engage your mind.  The hardest part about running is not the physical but the mental.  Strengthening the mind is an important component of distance running.  I have tried lots of things to get stronger mentally.  I read, constantly.  This helps...I think.  I have loaded my ipod with the typical motivational tunes to cheer me on.  I have also listened to familiar music to keep me comfortable and entertained.  I have even gone wireless.  No earbuds, period.  The familiar stuff tends to neither motivate nor entertain.  For me, it becomes background noise for my brain to focus on the physical and mental distress of the moment.

Here is where I should say that I do not run recreationally.  This is not fun.  Competition is fun, but running is not.  It is for the competition effect plus the health benefits that I run.

Back to the tunes.  Lately, I am running to the orchestral sounds of Tchaikovsky.  Because I am not familiar with the music--it is richly complex--my mind becomes engaged.  Locked in and focused my run suddenly moves along hardly noticing the physical demands required.  My best thinking comes while running.  Ideas, plans, prayers, and even questions flow more readily.  May I recommend Tchaikovsky's masterpiece opera, Eugene Onegin?

#3)  Ignore time during training.  I am so competitive that this is a tough one.  My über competitive spirit probably is the chief cause of my running injuries.  Running hard too soon not only wears the joints prematurely but wears out the mind when seeking top performance every day plus on race day.  Just put the miles in and forget the time.  The time is irrelevant until you cross the start line.  Do the work of conditioning and preparation during training.  Compete during the race.  Maybe this is not practical advice for those of you trying to qualify for Boston.  I care deeply about time, but for now have learned not to care during training.  I will save up all that energy for the Pig.

With the words of Forrest Gump, an avid runner himself, I will conclude.
Now, you wouldn't believe it if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows.  From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running.




No comments: