Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blogging: A Year In Review

It has been a year now since I begun this writing adventure More Questions Than Answers and I feel like I should assess where I have been and make a conclusion about where I am going with this little writing hobby. When I started last June the idea was to create a space to do three primary things. The first purpose was to have an outlet for ideas and random questions that stir inside of me that often did not get expressed. Some of my closest friends are ones that I would often have face-to-face conversation with where ideas and questions were discussed. Some of these friends are near and some are far as life has a way of scattering us for various reasons. It is hard to let a good thing go, so I thought this blog would be a good opportunity to stay connected and continue the dialogue. Jobs, growing families, and other such responsibilities have a knack of getting in the way of weekend visits or extended phone calls with these friends.

The second purpose was to engage in a different kind of ministry activity. Not holding responsibility in targeted, formal ministry now for two years I wanted to be active doing something that someone may find productive and useful. Writing for this blog has prompted me to think in different ways and given me motivation to study. Not sure how these entries the past year has benefited any of its readers (if at all), but personally this blogging exercise has been a sharpening tool to keep me from slumping into apathy and self absorption.

Lastly, the purpose of this space is simply for myself. I am learning that writing can be a therapeutic retreat. I say that my faith is a daily grind and writing has become a way of managing the highs and lows in my attempt at faithfulness. There is something about public expression that creates vulnerability. For some this is a scary concept but the risk is worth the effort as I have found that I am not the only one with doubt, fear, and disappointments.


A year ago when I first began writing I decided that I did not want this blog to be a journal or scrapbook exclusively, hoping to find a middle ground so that everyone in my social network would find something here that would be of interest. Again, not sure what I have accomplished. I believe I will continue to write, at least for now. I have other writing projects I am working on, probably words you will never see or hear me talk about. One thing this blog has not done is give me confidence in writing. These new projects are a result of private energy and ones that will hopefully be something my family will view and value. To tell the truth, my ability to crank out a weekly entry is being hampered by these other projects. Maybe that is good, maybe not.

They say the toughest critic is the self critic and I would agree (whoever 'they' is). The bottom line is that I think I have been able to stick with my three fold purpose all the while having fun. If you are a regular visitor let me say 'thanks' for participating. Hope we can spend more time visiting as the ideas and questions continue.

2 comments:

miranda said...

Congrats on your one year blogoversary. I think it's funny that I just posted about the same thing. Loved hearing your take on finding a place in this blogging world, we have many similar thoughts.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Happy blogiversary!

I've heard several times that blogging is a marathon, not a sprint. It's the truth. And there's no "right" or "wrong" way to blog. I've been at it for two years now, and I've done it a number of different ways. I'm still not sure I'm doing it the way that's best for me... but I'm having a good time... And when I don't feel like I'm having a good time, I just don't blog.

My point is just have fun... We'll keep reading. :)