Monday, April 6, 2009

RESET: On Prayer

I continue the RESET series of posts which are my reflections from a city wide teaching series involving some 50 churches in the Cincinnati metro area. This teaching series includes a daily journal with action and reflection prompts, weekly small group gatherings, and weekly large group teachings at the various churches that are participating. Week five--'Jesus reset prayer.' I invite you to view/participate in the large group teaching time at Vineyard Community Church here for the week five lesson.

Prayer is one of those things that requires an extreme amount of discipline. Maybe it's just me, but my perception is that most people maintain a one dimensional line to God. In my reflections about my own personal prayer life I realize that I mostly pray when I need something. Whether that thing is health, conflict resolution, guidance toward a decision; I am motivated by my circumstances. What has happened to the relational aspect of prayer? God is not my 'go-to man' or my 'administrative assistant'. God is the creator of the universe which is to say he is my Lord, which means that there is a mutual desire to be in relationship. Prayer is a gesture toward God that reaches out for relationship. That is a single dimension to prayer--telling God what I need and want. It seems appropriate, after all, since God does cause all things to come into being.

There is a second dimension to prayer which connects to the first and makes this discipline complete. That dimension is to yield. It's one thing to trust God to provide our heart's desire but it is another to trust him with whatever else he has in mind for us that we've not thought of or asked for. In other words, yielding to God means to be open, persistent, and patient as you wait to hear God's response. The story Jesus tells of the persistent widow as recorded by Luke is helpful in understanding the yield dimension of relating to God. This is the hard part for me, the waiting patiently part. The 'want it now' culture, I'm sure, plays a role. I'm learning to change what prayer means practically in that it is not a religious exercise but a constant dialogue with God, a back and forth, on-going conversation.

So how does the practical application of the practice of prayer change how God feels in terms of his response to us? I'm not sure it changes anything for him but surely it changes our perspective when we practice with diligence the art of listening. There have been many times that I have prayed for something and quickly concluded in my mind that either God doesn't think I need it or that I don't deserve whatever it is. For me, to explain away a seemingly 'no response' from God is easier for my faith. It's hurts less than hearing a flat 'NO' from God or an alternative response that I'm not open to receive. This is where true discipline comes in; seeking and waiting, asking and receiving, yielding and listening.

I believe God answers prayer but not in a illusionist-audience way, but in a Father-Son way. I don't always get the answer I want because the possibility is strong that there is something better available to receive. I don't always get what I want within the schedule and circumstances I wish because there may be a more opportune time to receive it that is unknown to me. Prayer isn't about proving anything and God doesn't aim to please. God aims to communicate, heal, correct, empower, transform and regenerate.


No comments: