Sunday, January 4, 2009

Goals For the New Year




Let me be the first to say that I am fully aware of all the changes I need to make. I'm pretending you haven't already made my list of changes under your breath or in your thoughts. You don't have to tell me, I know.

The nod of the New Year has always been (as long as I can remember) a time of recovery for me. I have a strong contempt for the winter months as the cold, dormant days seem to stir mood swings more than usual. The two things that keep me moving as I try to stay warm is looking forward to when pitchers and catchers report (in February) and the focus of big new ideas for the new year. Sometimes these ideas aren't so new. Things like losing weight or being a better husband seem to make the list every year.

Most everyone makes some sort of resolution as the big ball drops. I'm no exception, although I prefer the word goals. Usually right after Thanksgiving I start thinking about all the things I'd like to accomplish or achieve during the upcoming 12. After Christmas I write them down, and as I remember throughout the years, the list has changed. Sometimes it's a list of simple declarative statements and other times it's more like an outline with objectives and dates. I have alot to do this year; things I want to accomplish and things I just need to do.

Why is it that some (unofficial stats found on Google show most) who make resolutions never experience the pride of achievement? I admit that I don't always achieve every goal. Most are achieved but some are not. I think it would be stupid of me to try to make a judgment about another person's intent or motivation. I won't go there. It's only fair to analyze my own inner workings. My problem is desire. I have it, lots of it and I usually attribute a lack of desire to those who struggle doing the things they say their going to do. I typically say something arrogant like, "If you want it bad enough then you'll do what it takes." I'm sure there are other items needed besides desire to reach your goals; like time, resources, relationships, money, and for the circumstances to fall into place.

For me, achieving my goals is not exclusively about me. Yea, it will feel good personally when I lose 20 pounds. I'll look better plus the reduction in waist line will deliver greater health. I want to lose the extra pounds so I can be better for the people around me; those I love. So my Sunday afternoon distance runs are for my wife and kids just as much as for me. I think it's this kind of desire that encourages and drives me. When I think about how my list of things will affect others around me then I start making some headway. Maybe this sounds like rationalization. If it is then I've got alot of work to do. I said that already.

No comments: