Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thank You Dr. Rhine!

This has been a whirlwind week, no pun intended.


I had been preparing for 12 plus weeks for a half marathon in Chicago that happened on Sunday. Leading up to the event I was ill, wondering how the bug that I had would affect my pace. As late as Friday afternoon prior to the race I was so sick that I was certain that I would not even be able to travel to Chicago. I could not even stand up straight. Thanks to Dr. Rhine and her treatment plan, I was able to compete. My pace was affected (too slow to achieve my goal) but considering how sick I was, I am completely surprised I was able to even start the race.


So my wife and I met up with Spencer and Robyn to enjoy downtown Chicago as a bonus to the race. The whole region experienced a downpour for 2-3 days straight. No sightseeing, no strolls up and down Navy Pier, just rain. Wet socks, blisters and all, we finished the race. This was not the most fun I've had running...by far!

En route to Cincinnati on our return, we stayed in Champaign at Grandma and Granpa's house. On Sunday night we got a call from our neighbors who were experiencing a huge windstorm (80 mph) as a result of Hurricane Ike. They were watching from their front window our super sized oak tree literally split apart awaiting a structural disaster. They were calling to pre-warn us. Hilary and I are grateful for such thoughtful neighbors. We are glad to have them just right across the street.

Most of greater Cincinnati (half a million) went without utilities for a time; many still without. Thankfully our tree did not topple over onto our house but it is badly damaged and will need to be removed. In an architectural era where trees are worthless in development, this is sad news as this tree has been strongly positioned for many decades.

While there are many things to be anxious about and upset over I am reminded that there are twice as many things to be thankful for.

No comments: