Tuesday, September 2, 2008

110words

I have joined a creative writing community. Each week I receive a photo from which I submit a short fictional piece that does not exceed 110 words. This weekly challenge is called the 110words experiment. You can read all the entries from the official blog, which you'll see is now linked from my blog. Here is my first attempt.

For Sale

After returning from his customary morning walk, Wilbur regrettably ignores the crossword puzzle and quickly skips to the classifieds in search for a piece of replacement furniture.

“Let me see,” Wilbur anxiously sighs. “SLIGHTLY USED OAK BUREAU,” “GLASS TABLE TOP- 1 OWNER,” “SINGLE DOOR WARDROBE,” he mumbles under his stale, early morning breath.

As his eyes scan the columns, Wilbur’s mood suddenly improves. “This is it!” he says out loud.

“FOR SALE – Antique Peruvian Coffer. Perfect addition to a collection. Functions great as a coffee table or for general display. $50 OBO.”

Wilbur’s thoughts turn to his dysfunctional piece, “I wonder if the seller would consider a trade?”

No comments: