Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Motivational Expressions

So I'm reading Proverbs right now and I've read this book from the Bible many times before. Proverbs is hard but yet easy. I don't really know what I'm saying except that this book comes off as a collection of cool, motivational sayings. Probably the kind of quips that would look good set boldly underneath a breathtaking photograph of a snow capped mountain or the view of a boldly orange sunset. Sure there is value in what seems like isolated words laid out to be decorated, motivational speak. That's why Christians memorize verses and business leaders hang these quote ridden frames on their office walls. What's the ultimate message of the whole book? Isn't there a theme that ties all of these mini lessons together? For me, that's the hard part of Proverbs, trying to gather it all together.

The first 9 chapters conveniently personifies wisdom and teaches that this is something I need and can't live without. No doubt! Proverbs 7.4-5 from The Message says this: Talk to Wisdom as to a sister. Treat Insight as your companion. They'll be with you to fend off the Temptress - that smooth-talking, honey-tongued Seductress. I've been thinking for the past 3 days about these verses trying to come up for a reason why wisdom and insight are the solutions for temptation. Usually when I face temptation I try to block it out mentally, try to put the bad thoughts out of my mind. Sometimes I even attempt to do something different to change my environment. I wonder if these are just passive, band-aid type fixes? What does it look like to use wisdom and insight to fend off temptation? Instead of ignoring the situation and hoping it goes away, a proactive approach may actually mean considering the temptation.

There are many things I don't do or won't do because I am afraid. Fear is a great motivator. Realizing the consequences for myself and others often keeps me from making bad mistakes. Making a judgement about the short term perks versus the long term benefits is another consideration during temptation. Adultery is the specific temptation used in Proverbs 7 but of course the same lesson would apply to any temptation. I've never seen the words 'Wisdom' and 'Insight' all capped in a slick frame centered boldly in a locker room nor a conference room.

No comments: